We are saddened to announce that there won’t be any races this coming Feb.. We are very grateful for all the volunteers that we have for race weekend but this year we have a problem with plenty of Braves and not enough Chiefs. I (Pat Campbell) need to concentrate on Dogsled Express’s tour business after two years of only being in operation for two weeks. Doug (our other co-president) wife had a new job and promotion and he moved to the Bay area. Doug has been doing the special use permit with the USFS. My wife Lisa who does all the press and website has a new job as Marketing manager at NorCal Products and simply has no time for the races. Our volunteer coordinator is very busy working with her church youth groups.
We hope to get the races going again next year and are looking into having some dryland fun runs this spring and next fall. We wish all the mushers and their teams a great race season.
If anyone is interested in hosting a fun run(without entry fees) you don’t need a USFS special use permit, feel free to do it at our race location at Deer Mountain (Chuck Best Memorial) snowmobile park. We will help in any way we can.
Sorry folks, Our race site is currently dirt and asphalt, birds are migrating north, snow levels are 2000 feet above our race site in steep and rocky terrain unsuitable for dog sled races. The NOAA website forecasts highs between 61 to 48 and lows between 34 and 37 between now and our race date. The lowest temperatures corresponding to a slight chance of showers Tuesday and Wednesday with the predicted snowline 2000-3000 feet above our race site.
Siskiyou Sled Dog Races and Kids Rides are being postponed until March 14-15 in hopes of a resurgent winter. This year Mount Shasta still has snow above 7000 feet. However our race site at 5300 feet has no snow currently, and temperatures at the race site are expected to be in the range of 53 to 32 degrees Fahrenheit with moderate precipitation anticipated. However precipitation will be mostly rain at least up until the February 7-8 weekend. The snowline for the storm is forecast to be between 7000 and 9000 feet, well above Deer Mountain Snowmobile Park.
Recently conditions at Deer Mountain race site have been shifting between rain and slush. We are still waiting for a good snowstorm to give us a decent base to race on.
If the snow has not come by the week or so before the Feb 7-8 race weekend, we will postpone the event until March 14-15.
General public is invited to our general membership meeting to prepare for the 2015 sled dog season. The meeting will be 7 pm, Thursday, December 4, 2014 at the Mt Shasta Brewing Company, 360 College Ave. Weed, CA.
We are hoping for a cold and snowy year. Races are scheduled for Deer Mountain Snowmobile Park 17 miles east of Weed on Hwy 97.
We sincerely regret that we are canceling the 2014 Siskiyou Sled Dog Races. There is no snow at the race site and the current storm is mostly rain and is predicted to be followed by warm weather. Even if we ran a cart race, temperatures are predicted to be in the 60s race weekend which will be too hot for dogs to run a safely. Thank to those who already turned in entry fees. Your checks will be returned to you.
Lets hope 2015 will be cooler and snowier in Siskiyou County.
If weather patterns do not change quickly, the races will have to be cancelled this year. Rain and up to 1.5 inches of snow is predicted at Deer Mountain this Wednesday night and Thursday. Hotter weather and more rain is predicted thereafter.
Due to a lack of snow and a grim outlook for storms coming in between now and our original race date of February 8-9, the Siskiyou Sled Dog Races are being postponed until March 8-9. Stand by for weather updates. Pray for a series of cold wet storms.
Free Kids Rides are being postponed until we get snow. Possibly kids rides will occur after the February races.
Least snow I have ever seen in Siskiyou County. Forecasts show no big snow storms headed our way in the next 7 days.. Lets hope some big wet cold storms come through soon.